UA South Representatives!

UA South Representatives!

The University of Arizona South has selected student representatives to attend the annual HACU National Capitol Forum in Washington, D.C. These students are those who are highly passionate and motivated by higher education. They take initiative to support and advocate for others, are actively involved in their school and community, and have a general knowledge of the U.S. government system. 

While at the Forum, each student will write blog posts describing their experienceCome along on their journey and read their posts!
Get connected to UA South and UA South's Students!

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Angela Lucero's Bio


     I'm Angela Lucero and am currently in my senior year at UA South in Sierra Vista.   I have lived in the southwest almost my entire life and spent the last fifteen years in Sierra Vista.  I have developed some incredible friendships and seen how the community has grown and evolved.  I am a full-time student, a full-time Digital Media Literacy Teacher for the Palominas School District, and also a full-time wife and mom to three teenagers.

     It has been through my time at UA South where I discovered how vital high education is to a person's future.  I never believed that I needed a degree to "make it" in the world and while a person is able to make a living without one, I've experienced first hand the doors that are opened to you when you have a degree.  In May 2017, I completed my BS in Elementary Education, and before I graduated with my teaching degree, I knew the very next program I wanted to pursue.  I returned in the fall to begin a BAS in Cyber Operations and will graduate in December 2018.

     I applied for the HACU Capitol Forum because I believe in advocating for others and voicing concerns over topics that I am passionate about.  I want to discover ways to connect high education with my community and help future students to find their calling.  My focus that I will be discussing with members of the House and Senate is capturing students for computer and cyber degree programs.  It's essential that to increase interest in these types of programs, Hispanic students need to have access to experiences sooner.  

     My own experience in attending college would have been drastically different if there had been someone to help me discover what I was good at and guide me toward a path that suited me.  I didn't go to college right after high school because I didn't know what I wanted to study and being from a small town, the steps needed to go away to college were not easily laid out, so I didn't go.  I want to ensure that others don't encounter similar roadblocks and if they have, help them to achieve their goals.

No comments: