UA South Representatives!

UA South Representatives!

The University of Arizona South has selected student representatives to attend the annual HACU National Capitol Forum in Washington, D.C. These students are those who are highly passionate and motivated by higher education. They take initiative to support and advocate for others, are actively involved in their school and community, and have a general knowledge of the U.S. government system. 

While at the Forum, each student will write blog posts describing their experienceCome along on their journey and read their posts!
Get connected to UA South and UA South's Students!

Monday, April 2, 2018

Adam Grant's Bio

My name is Adam Grant, and im currently attending the University of Arizona South in Tucson. I am an active duty Air Force member who was selected due to my potential to lead as an officer. This grants me the opportunity to attend college full time where I am pursuing a Bachelors of Applied Science in Intelligence Studies with a minor in Spanish. I'm a senior taking 22 units this semester with tentative graduation planned for December of this year.

During the past ten years serving on active duty, I've grown to love being the voice for those who aren't able to advocate for themselves. I was in an Immigration and Reform class when the opportunity to apply for this once in a lifetime event presented itself. Without hesitation, I immediately went through the prompts to apply. My previous duty assignment drew me to want to apply for this. I was apart of a unit that traveled South and Central America and the Carribean providing humanitarian assistance. This is where I was able to see up close, and personal the joy brought to the eyes of those who we assisted, I began to fall in love with the culture and the people. The HACU Capitol Forum will give me another opportunity to discuss topics that affect so many yet sometimes fall to the rear.

I have two topics that I choose to discuss this year; the first is the creation of science, technology, engineering, and math internships that provide opportunities that will connect college students with companies in their field. Having the degree is great, but not having the opportunity to showcase or utilize your new found skills can make college students who are starting their journey off in the "adult world" harder than it needs to be. The second is on the creation of a or programs that take the future politicians under the wing of current politicians and allows for a "passing of the torch" as you could say. I'm a firm believer that as a leader you are only as good as those to whom you groom to take your place in the future.

I'm sure that this experience for my classmates and myself will be amazing, being able to see first hand how many different processes work along with being able to ask questions on behalf of our fellow students will be a highlight of all of our college experiences. Through this blog, I will give you my daily takeaways from the many meetings we will attend.

No comments: