UA South Representatives!

UA South Representatives!

The University of Arizona South has selected student representatives to attend the annual HACU National Capitol Forum in Washington, D.C. These students are those who are highly passionate and motivated by higher education. They take initiative to support and advocate for others, are actively involved in their school and community, and have a general knowledge of the U.S. government system. 

While at the Forum, each student will write blog posts describing their experienceCome along on their journey and read their posts!
Get connected to UA South and UA South's Students!

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Day # 2! Welcome to Washington D.C.!

           So we have made it safely to Washington D.C. What a city! Our nation's capital is one of a kind, to say the least. So much to do and see.  I'm quite familiar with the district and it never ceases to amaze me with its breathtaking beauty! My last visit to the district was in 2009 and I'm delighted to be back. 
           So, we arrived at Reagan National Airport at 0630 hours and right off the bat, I learned something new. Uber has some serious competition with Lyft. Our Lyft driver drove us from the airport to our hotel, the Washington Plaza and was a lot cheaper and Uber. So for everyone that relies on this service, keep them in mind. Thanks to Elsie, for making me aware of this service. 
           So upon arriving to our hotel, we hit the city on foot. I walked a total of 9.5 miles today and me and my team, visited the following sites: Washington Monument, Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall), WWII Memorial, Korean War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, The White House, The Mall and we saw the reflecting pool, and all I could think of first hand was the Forrest Gump movie when Forrest and Jennie met inside the pool. However, after remembering the movie, I remembered the rally and speech held by Dr. Martin Luther King in 1963! So around 1400 hrs, I proceeded to walk back to the hotel. I'm glad that I keep myself in shape. It paid off today :)
White House/South Side of Pennsylvania Avenue
Honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice in Vietnam/Vietnam War Memorial (The Wall) 
Cherry Blossoms in Washington D.C. 
WWII Memorial
Washington Monument

          
         

No comments: